The Accident Compensation Corporation administers New Zealand’s accident compensation scheme, which provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. In return people do not have the right to sue for personal injury, except in certain very limited cases.

ACC has increasingly moved to on-line services to support their injured clients, interact with businesses to manage levy payments and their business compliance and work with other government agencies.

ACC’s main page has a wealth of information and links to assist both individuals and businesses

The injury must be caused by an accident. ACC does not cover things like illness, conditions from ageing and emotional issues not directly caused by trauma.

When you’ve been injured:

      • ACC helps people who have been injured driving, playing sport, working or even DIY at home.

  • If a person is injured in an accident, they must go and see a doctor or health provider, who will commence the claim process if required. Claims can be made up to 12 months after the injury
      • ACC covers/ contributes to the cost of emergency transport, emergency hospital services, doctors’ visits and a wide range of treatments including dentistry, physiotherapy and acupuncture.
      • Getting aids and equipment to help with an injury
      • Help at home after an injury
      • Transport and getting around after an injury
      • Support with childcare and education after an injury
      • Travelling for treatment and rehabilitation
      • Counselling and therapy

  • ACC pays for training for future employment when people have lost their jobs because of an injury.

ACC provides weekly compensation of up to 80 percent of your employees’ weekly wage if the employee is off work for more than one week when recovering from an accident.

      • ACC will help even if you are injured while on holiday overseas – as long as you are a New Zealand resident and haven’t been out of New Zealand for more than six months.

      • ACC will help visitors to New Zealand if they are hurt in an accident while they are in the country.


When your employee is injured it’s important they are treated quickly. They are free to choose a health provider of their choice to manage their injury but may want to use a health provider who is familiar with your organisation’s activities.


ACC will advise you ‘in writing’ if your employee’s injury is classified as work-related.

Payments to your employee

If your employee is unable to work because of their injury they will be entitled to weekly compensation for their lost earnings.

ACC will need information from you about their wages so they can make the correct payment.  ACC will pay a portion of an employees wages (up to 80%) and the employer has the option to pay a top-up(up to 20%) from any employee sick leave owing or holiday pay owing on agreement with the employee.

On-going assistance

ACC will assign a case manager to the claim and contact you about the employee’s injury and to discuss a rehabilitation plan for getting the employee back to work. ACC will continue to work with and monitor the employee’s progress until a sustainable return to work or outcome has been achieved. 

How do I keep track of my employee’s claims?

When your employee has received an injury at work you will receive a letter from ACC advising that the injury has occurred and the cover decision. You are able to challenge this decision if you dispute the injury as being work related.

You will also receive a claims report automatically when an employee makes a claim for a work-related injury.

You will most likely be required to use the MyACC App to manage and view business and claim details.